Friday, April 12, 2013

It's been awhile...

It's been a bit since I've blogged.  I had a bad case of food poisoning, then my messed up my lower back and have been recovering from that. 

We started our new round of classes and so far so good.  I bought a cheap white wig from a party store which I use to dress up as various Presidents from the past.  I'm not sure if my son is retaining any of the knowledge in regards to the Presidents, but he gets such a kick at having a "president" come visit.

Our "Day in the Life" until is going fine.  Nothing to spectacular.  Our first one was a photographer and we learned different types of pictures people take (sports, nature, portraits....) then went around and tried to take tons of different types of pic.

I have to admit, I'm not as pumped about these classes as I've been about past, but my son seems to enjoy them well enough that I'll keep going with them. 

We started multiplication, which I'm super excited about because I got to introduce my son to School House Rocks.  Do you remember those videos?  I loved them as a kid.  In fact, that's how I learned my multiplication tables.  So right now, we're up to our 3s.

I sprinkle in geography, since he still doesn't know all the continents by memory.  Also, I sprinkle in some shapes to review the harder ones like hexagon and pentagon.  We started our Bible lessons, which my son seems indifferent about but it's important so we'll keep it up.  I started to introduce some literature and reading comprehension in my Reading lessons.  Last class, we read the Turtle and the Hare and acted it our with finger puppets.  Then we worked on answering some questions about the text.

I'm starting to get nervous about teaching kindergarten.  It's going to be a big change for both me and my son.  We'll have to increase school hours and whether I'm sick or not, we have to keep more on a schedule.  I can't take time off for a back ache like I did this week.

But I know that it's doable.  After all, I only have one kid and there are so many homeschool families with multiples.  If they can do it, so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment