Sunday, April 21, 2013

Apparently, I'm a President

So this chunk of school hasn't been as productive as I hoped.  For starters, we've been crazy busy with non-school related obligations.  A lot of public schools are beginning to slow down, the weather is getting nicer, kids are outside playing more often, the feeling of summer is everywhere.  We're just getting a bit slower, a bit more lazy, and a bit more excited to go outside and play soccer than to sit and do verbs.

But that's to be expected.  I know it will be up to me to really buckle down and focus when we have the freedom to throw aside the books and hit the soccer field.  Frankly, I'd rather be outside also.  But I have found one of our subjects that has caught his attention.  It's the Presidents.  Now I think I mentioned this earlier....I dress up like a President, give a little speech and then I teach him something patriotic like the Star Spangle Banner or the pledge of allegiance.  I have to admit....I feel really silly dressing like George Washington or Abe Lincoln.  And it didn't seem like he was getting much out of my speeches.  I basically tossed my idea aside as a failure and figured we'd revisit the Presidents next year.

Then he asked me what President is coming to school tomorrow.

So I guess I'm a President again.  Tomorrow I'll be Teddy Roosevelt.  I don't really have a plan other than to read off the interesting facts I found about him but I know as soon as I tell him about Teddy Roosevelt being the inspiration behind the Teddy Bear, he'll get excited.

I really didn't think he liked my whole President lesson plans, but it was the one thing he asked for.  I guess it just goes to show that you never know what's going to spark your kids attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment