Monday, June 24, 2013

Back to it!

June is coming to an end and with that brings homeschool curriculum fairs.  I recently attended one, searching specifically for Life of Fred math books.  I came away with two complete Saxon curriculums, one for reading and one for math, plus a whole bunch of useful booklets.

I didn't intend to teach from a curriculum.  In fact, I received TONS of advise saying NOT to buy a curriculum for kindergarten.  So what changed my mind?  Well, I spent my son's preschool years designing my own curriculum.  It was fun, for both of us, but it was overwhelming.  As you can tell from some of my previous blogs, I sometimes felt a bit rattled by the whole process.  So I decided to help myself out a bit.  Now, I only have reading and math taken care of with Saxon.  My son is in a homeschool group that will teach him science (the human body and astronomy), history (the classics), art and physical education.  The rest is still up to me, and I'll be designing my own curriculum for those subjects.

I'll be teaching Bible, Music, and Geography along with reading and math.  I really love science and would like to teach that as well, but we'll see how the homeschool science class goes. 

The Common Core has also been an issue.  So many states have adopted it, and I will be looking through the requirements in detail and deciding what I need to incorporate into my teaching. 

So that's where I am right now with homeschooling.  I'll be doing some planning and remodeling of this blog, moving all the preK stuff to one tab, that sort of thing.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment